Skip to content

Brussel Sprout Gratin with Dijon Mornay Sauce

November 28, 2012

Today I decided to mix an amazingly healthy vegetable with a ridiculously delicious but not so healthy cheese sauce… WHY NOT!?

I think if I had a last supper it would involve Mornay Sauce. Its basically a cheese sauce with a tang to it that  makes it a million times better. If you don’t believe me, you can try this recipe out for yourself!

Brussel Sprout Gratin with Dijon Mornay Sauce

about 1.5 pounds of Brussels sprouts, halved with stems cut off
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1.5 cups milk
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup aged white cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup cream cheese
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
panko breadcrumbs
black pepper to taste

1.Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

2. boil a pot of water and blanche brussel sprouts until they turn bright green for about 2 minutes and set aside

3. Melt butter over medium heat and incorporate flour with a whisk, then whisk in milk and bring to a boil then turn down heat until sauce thickens

4. Stir in cheese, salt cream cheese and dijon until fully mixed

5. Add brussel sprouts to mornay sauce, then entire mixture to baking dish

6. Toss brussel sprouts in panko breadcrumbs in dish to coat them

7. Bake in oven for 40 minutes – you can add more cheese if you want 10 minutes before they are done for extra crust

11 Comments leave one →
  1. November 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Love this – it looks great!

2. November 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Reblogged this on The Real Chef Wife of Vancouver.

3. November 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Looks absolutely dangerously good and I’m pretty sure I’d have to have seconds!

Cheers,
    Jed
    sports-glutton.com
    Sports, Food, Libations, and More

4. November 29, 2012 1:30 am

Great recipe … I bet that would make converts out of confirmed sprout haters :)

5. December 7, 2012 5:23 pm

Looks amazingggg! Definitely trying :) Thanks for the like!

6. December 7, 2012 8:27 pm

I’ve recently started eating brussel sprouts.. thanks for sharing this recipe!

7. Anonymous permalink
    April 5, 2013 5:56 pm

I already love those little green babies- now I shall devour them more readily than ever! OH how I am going to need more Lactaid!!!! :)

8. April 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Ummmm…..How can you put the Brussels sprouts into the mornay sauce and put into baking dish and then toss Brussels sprouts in a dish of bread crumbs? (Brussels is spelled with an “s” on the end) I’m confused now as to what to do with the bread crumbs — do you toss the sprouts with them already in the baking dish in the sauce?

9. April 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Id chose it for a last meal

10. christa permalink
    June 1, 2013 2:32 pm

I made this last night and it was delicious! My husband isn’t a big fan of brussel sprouts so I’m always looking for different ways to make them! Thanks for the recipe!

11. Heather ryley permalink
    June 23, 2013 4:23 am

I am salivating and it will be on my table tomorrow night.