Spaghetti Squash With Heirloom Tomato Sauce
This is my last post before my birthday (tomorrow) and my trip to Mexico!!! I can’t believe I am already 25 years old…. time flies when you’re having fun ;)
I love to eat spaghetti squash because it’s the perfect trick to convince your body/mind you are having a big bowl of yummy carb filled pasta. There are many ways to make spaghetti squash squash but this time I made this dish with organic heirloom tomatoes and kept it simple and fresh. There are also two different ways to cook spaghetti squash and either way works for me! When making a casserole like this I prefer to roast and use the time to prep the sauce. But when I want a quick fix I will chop off a hunk of squash and microwave it in a bowl with water. Same end result just less time in the microwave!
Spaghetti Squash with Heirloom Tomato Sauce
1 spaghetti Squash
4 Heirloom tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano (Or more if you like it)
salt and pepper
1. way 1: Set oven to 350 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half, de seed, and coat with olive oil, roast in oven for 45 minutes until squash pulls apart with fork into strands
way 2: Cut squash in half, de seed, place in dish with water at bottom and microwave on high for 10-14 minutes until squash pulls apart with fork into strands
2. Set a pot of water to boil and wash and place tomatoes in boiling water for a couple of minutes until you see their skin crack
3. Remove and right away place in a bowl of cool water. When tomatoes are cool enough to touch peel them and chop them roughly.
4. Place saucepan over medium heat, heat oil and sauté garlic (don’t let it brown)
5. Add in tomatoes with salt, pepper and oregano and bring to boil then let simmer for about 20 minutes (you can also adjust seasoning here adding hot sauce, more herbs, some cheese basically whatever you like in a sauce)
6. Toss sauce with squash in baking dish and top with parmesan cheese and bake for about 30 minutes on 400 (if you want cheese to be extra crispy pull dish out of oven 5 minutes before the end and add more)